Saturday, July 14, 2012

Maple BBQ Mashed Sweet Potatoes

Recently I happened to try a BBQ rub & discovered that it tastes amazing on sweet potatoes. I first tried it on sweet potato fries and then decided to see how it would be in instead of just on so I made these maple BBQ mashed sweet potatoes. I still want to try this rub on other veggies and other dishes, but I think this recipe is a keeper!

2 cups of sweet potato, baked & scooped from the skin
2 TBSP maple syrup, preferably grade B
1 TBSP Bella's Backwoods BBQ Rub

In a large bowl, mash the sweet potatoes with a potato masher; this would probably work in a food processor, but where is the fun in that? Stir in the maple syrup and the BBQ rub. Serve hot.

If you are interested in trying this recipe, Bella's Backwoods BBQ Rub is available from Rocco's Country Spice on Etsy.
Obviously, I did ask whether it was vegan before buying it. When I decided to post this recipe I asked him to give me a little more information about the rub so I could share it with you. Here is what Rocco had to say:

"A love for all things BBQ and a need to serve some of my vegan friends at our church dinners led to Our very own spice blend that is completely free of animal derived products and very minimally processed. Kosher salt and a special blend of spices sourced as local as possible, including FSC certified maple syrup, oragnic raw cane sugar, smoked paprika and a healthy dose of garlic are just a few ingredients in this unique blend. Bella's Backwoods BBQ rub is always made in small batches, and of course, made with a respect for those we serve."

Please note that the BBQ sauce he sells is not vegan; I have already checked.

This product was not provided for a review, I just happened to try it & love it & want to share it! Sorry for the lack of a photo, it was eaten before I got to take one. I may add one later.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm sounds interesting. I put sweet potatoes in my favorite chili dish! I will give this a try when sweet potatoes are in season out here. :)

    ReplyDelete