Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Mom's Oatmeal Goes Tropical

I was at a diner/cafe not long ago with my family & ordered oatmeal. I was not expecting the "oatmeal" I was served; it was nothing like what I think of as oatmeal! Apparently some people think oatmeal should be gluey, slimy, goop. I disagree! My mom has always made oatmeal that is flavorful & a little bit chewy, and after the diner I found myself looking forward to a bowl of oatmeal like my mom makes. This recipe is a variation on the way she cooks oatmeal with a bit of a tropical twist.




1 cup water
1/2 cup rolled oats (old fashioned, not quick cooking)
1/4 to 1/3 cup fresh pineapple, diced or cut into small chunks
1/4 cup walnut halves, broken into pieces
1/8 cup raisins *
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup vanilla coconut milk (like Silk or So Delicious brand)
1/8 cup maple syrup, preferably grade B **

In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Stir in the oats, walnuts, raisins, pineapple, and cinnamon. Reduce heat to medium and allow to cook until the oatmeal is softened but still a bit chewy, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the coconut milk and maple syrup. Allow the oatmeal to sit for a few minutes before serving but don't allow it to get cold.

Makes about 1 1/2 cups cooked. Obviously, use more or less cinnamon and maple syrup as you prefer!

* 1/8 cup is 2 TBSP so just use your TBSP if you don't have a 1/8 cup measure
** Grade B maple syrup is darker and has a stronger maple flavor. If you can't find any you can use Grade A, but I promise Grade B is worth looking for!

1 comment:

  1. I think the gooey slimy oatmeal tends to come from the packaged stuff, when I make it from scratch it never turns out like that! This sounds really yummy, I don't have any pineapple but I'd like to try this tomorrow for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete